Friday, August 15, 2008

Where Did This Week Go?

A baby fawn in our meadow, mommy came back and got her shortly after we took the picture. . Oh the joys of country living!!!


Here we are, halfway through August..I am disappointed in our gardens this years, tomotoes just not getting ripe and they are starting to get early blight,,we will spray again in a day or two and give them all another good soaking even though my arms are now longer than my legs from carrying those buckets and watering cans to the two gardens across the road.


We had the best broccoli I have eaten in years tonight, not bitter as most of the broccoli I buy has been for several years now. I think it is one of the older varieties, Green Comet, which is not a commercial variety.



I will have to freeze a little, it is all getting ready at once. After I pick the main heads, we will fertilize with blue water at least twice and then keep watered and the plants will produce enough sprouts for us until hard frosts.


Zucchini has taken over and is the only things that is producing more than we can use, I am busy finding new recipes for at least part of it.





Today and tomorrow the local craft fair is on from 9 to 5 although people will be picking up and leaving early tomorrow if business is slow, and I am sure it will be. The economy is so bad that most people are saving for fuel this Winter rather than buying crafts and artwork. I spent a measley $3.00 for a loaf of the worst tasting zucchini bread I have ever had and a tiny package of homemade fudge for Norm.



Back to my reading for tonight, I bought a new Ann Rule book for a dollar at the library book sale and can't wait to start reading it.


Bye for now....

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Feel free to send me some of that zucchini!

I love deer! What an adorable fawn. :)

Missy Wertz said...

I love the photo of the fawn.

Hope the garden starts doing better.

Kathy said...

Precious fawn!
Kathy

Unknown said...

You got me. What is blue water?

Raindancer1 said...

Bobg
Blue water is when I mix blue dry fertizer granules in with water and water each plant or row with it to give a "Boost". There many formulas, 20-20-20 is common for all around use.I also use a different one for my roses and some flowers and sometime mix 2 together for my flowering veggies..ie, tomatoes, cucs, squash etc. to make them set more blossoms. The numbers refer to Nitrogen, [for green and strong foliage, Phosphate, for blossoms and Potash for root growth. You probably already know this but for those who don't, that's a quick rundown on nutrients. I've found that after you pick the main head from Broccoli, you can keep it producing side shoots for quite awhile if you give it a good dose of blue water every couple of weeks. The Miracle Gro rose stuff is pink.. pink water..and is about a 10-50-10 mixture. When I mix the 2 together..I get Lavender water and that maks more blossoms on blossoming veggies. Always get the plants growing well before you boost blossoms.
Today, I picked enough broccoli side shoots for tonight.