Saturday, August 02, 2008

The Staff of Life [so they say]


Think it is about time I got out one of my 3 bread machines and started making bread at least once a week, I nearly fell over today when 2 6 pks of whole grain English Muffins and 2 loaves of wheat bread totaled over 14.00 DOLLARS!!!
That is downright ridiculous and even though the muffins will last about 10 days, it is still too much, both loaves of bread were on sale, otherwise it would have been about 2.50 more. I have some great bread recipes and there are more links on here but here is one for one and half pound loaves if anyone is looking.

one and one half pound loaf 1 1/2 pound loaf bread machine 163 Recipes Recipezaar

Did great on my other shopping today, fish and meat for the week came to about 10.00 and that will be plenty, I may freeze part of the fish for next week as I found a good buy on salmon and crab cakes.
Spent $5.25 at the produce market for tomatoes, mangos, Vidalia onions, and a lot of bananas.
I still have cherries, blueberries, apples and pears left from last week and can harvest broccoli, cucumbers, zucchini, swiss chard, lettuce and herbs from the garden plus I have a lot of frozen veggies to use up in the freezer.

I just cannot believe the food and gas prices these days..we have cut back on driving about as much as possible and I am using a lot from my food pantry but replacing most things with the same when they are on sale as I fear next year will be much worse.

No comments: