Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Roses Are Back!





After all my worry, most of the roses came through our upstate NY winter with only a couple of losses and one of them resulted in my DH's weed whacking it off right to the ground! Above left is Linda Campbell which produces huge masses of gorgeous red blooms in large clusters, on the right is my old fashioned climbing New Dawn which has taken 3 or 4 years to attain this size, it's really too cold on this hill for it but I love it enough to keep trying!
I did lose a couple over the winter but the worst loss was one that lived over until DH decided to help me by weed whacking around the edges of the bed across the road, somehow it just disappeared. He came in and said "I don't think you want to hear this, but I just cut off one of your roses".
Well, I didn't want to hear it but I know he meant well and I have got several that need more sun so I will move one of them over there as the hole has already been dug.
Honestly, since it has the same type leaves as the other 14 in that bed, you would think that he might have noticed that it wasn't quackgrass, dock or burdock but his mind must have been elsewhere. Then the deer browsed off most of the first flush of buds so they are a bit sparse but still beautiful.
I took a few pictures but most of them were disappointing. the New Dawn finally bloomed over the old shed window [a la English Cottage Garden] but some unknown critter turned the foliage into lace curtains, and the rain ruined most of the others.
"Faint heart ne'er won fair lady" and I will keep going with them as well as the other flowers and green stuff as they are such an important part of our little Shangri La.






1 comment:

Catherine said...

Awww...beautiful roses~beautifully captured!! And I love the shot of the charming building with the white rose growing up it!!
Thanks for visiting, and very nice comments!!
Cat